So many people, including myself, struggle on a daily basis of how much we want to change our bodies.
“My butt is too big”
“My legs jiggle”
“I have stretch marks everywhere”
“I have bye -bye arms”
“My boobs aren’t big enough”.
The list goes on and on. We may not say it out loud but we sure as hell are saying it to ourselves. No matter how much work you do on the outside, if you do not also work on the inside, the outside appearance won’t matter. You need to learn to love yourself from the inside out. I am going to give you a couple tips on how to do this:
I want you to start by getting a piece of paper and something to write with. Don’t worry, I’ll wait….trust me, this blog is not going anywhere….still waiting….ok …you got it? Now, I want you to answer these questions:
1. What is the most critical thing you say to yourself? Write it out. How did that feel to put it in writing?
Would you say that to your best friend, even if you thought it?
Now, how do you think you impact your self worth and self image EVERYTIME you say that to yourself?
**Tip #1: Speak highly of yourself to yourself. Tell yourself that your ass is starting to look amazing, that you are a really great person, that you have a rockin smile. Tell yourself that you a proud of yourself. If this feels foreign to you, as I suspect it does, keep doing it. It will become easier.
2. What is one thing you love about yourself? Something you wouldn’t change at all. Write it down on a post-it. Write it on your bathroom mirror. (side tip: white board markers are AMAZING for this and they can just wipe off)
**Tip #2: Write down your favorite quotes or affirmations. When they are visible you are more likely to read them, even if it is just subconsciously noticing them.
3. How do you reward yourself? Is it with food, with clothing, with money? Why do you choose this?
**Tip #3: Don’t reward yourself with food. You are not an animal.
4. Do you love yourself? I mean truly love yourself and your life?
** Tip #4: Look in the mirror EVERY DAY and tell yourself “I love you. You are perfect the way you are today, right now in this moment.” This doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to work on your health and body. It just means, do it out of appreciation and love for your body instead of hate.
5. If you could tell your past self one thing, what would it be?
** Tip #5: Live life without regret. If something didn’t workout the way you wanted it to, at least you got the experience of it. Without that experience you wouldn’t be the same person, sitting here today, reading this blog, getting ready to change your life for the better.
Now, I challenge all of you every day this week to:
1. Tell yourself “I love you” at least 3 different times.
2. Give yourself a compliment for each negative statement you notice.
3. Give back, pay it forward, treat someone (in a caribou line, by holding a door, leaving a nice note, send flowers, etc). It often feels so good to help others out as well!
4. Way up every morning, put a smile on your beautiful face and kick its ass!
5. LOVE yourself. RESPECT yourself. Do what makes your soul happy.
-Amanda Dunn (Ambassador)