I’m really excited to share this recipe with you all today. My boyfriend and I made it last weekend and it was easy to make and very delicious. We ended up doubling the batch so we could have lunches for the week. I hope you like it!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Total Time: 50-60 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1¼ cups frozen corn kernels
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2½ cups shredded cooked turkey (or chicken)
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Green onion, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic and cook until the vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green chiles and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the soup, along with the salt and pepper. Cook, whisking frequently, until the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the Chicken (you can also use turkey), Cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with green onions and serve.